Wednesday, May 29, 2013

This was clearly a destination rather than journey day!  Clem for some reason was anxious to get to the next stop, and I obliged and pushed on, doing what was probably too much for one day.  We did make a quick stop here, for him to take the wheel for a bit, and allow me to see the Trading Post, and snap a photo.  Unfortunately, it also proved to be the beginning of a a section of construction, marked by barrels, and shoulder drop off, and I soon resumed my time at the wheel!  I was pretty beat when we finally arrived in Williams, Az,  and now I have noticed that we passed up seeing a few things of interest! The prime, being Winslow, Arizona.....where I could have been "standin' on the corner......"  

From the highway you could see a tremendous collection of kitsch at Holbrook, including giant dinosaur statues and the famous Wigwam Village with its concrete teepees in which you can spend the night.  Past the ghost town of Two Guns is the town of Twin Arrows, marked by.....twin arrows!  Giant red arrows stuck in the ground which marked a roadside attraction.  All worth at least a photo op!  Route 66 borders Highway 40 in this part of the country, so it is possible to take in quite a bit from the highway, but we are slated to make a couple of stops on the old road ahead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment